Wednesday 5 October 2011

Movie review of I saw the Devil


I saw the Devil - 8.5/10
Directed by Jee Woon Kim
Cast - Lee Byung Hun, Choi Min Sik

Plot Summary
When his pregnant fiancee becomes the latest victim of a serial killer, a secret agent blurs the line between good and evil in his pursuit of revenge.

Review
This is definitely by far the best Korean movie I have seen.Korean movies do not have much of an impact for me as how Japanese movies do.But there are some that make the cut for me.I enjoyed A Bittersweet life, The good the bad and the weird(both done by the director) and Chan Park Woo's revenge trilogy(sympathy for Mr/Lady Vengeance and Old Boy.But of them all I saw the Devil takes the cake.The colour treatment is fantastic.Great editing and direction for this movie was excellent.I loved the pacing for this movie.Even though the script is in Korean,judging from the way the actors say it and the subtitles,I felt the script was good.I have to admit the violence in this movie is a little thought provoking and maybe a little uncomfortable for women.There was one particular scene which involves a certain body part which made me cringe and I had a sleepless night after that.The interesting thing about I saw the devil is its not just about the violence factor,the characters portrayed by the two main actors were fucking brilliant. Lee Byung Hun is now my favourite Korean actor and followed closely is Choi Min Sik. So far I have enjoyed Lee's movies except for GI Joe(stick to Korean movies,buddy).Choi on the other hand,I have only seen him in Old boy.I'm pretty sure no other Korean actors could do the characters like how these two guys did.There is so much chemistry between them. I will definitely watch the next movie they are in. I would have given a 9 for this movie except for just one scene that kinda annoyed me a little towards the end.I guess they kinda ran out of idea on how to end it.

All in all,I would recommend this movie to those who have a open mind and appreciate violence done rather artistically. If you are the type who are judgmental about movies and bitch,whine,complain about the violence or shit like that.Don't bother with this movie and go fuck yourself.

Movies done by the director
A bittersweet Life
The Good the bad and the weird

No comments: