Friday 14 October 2011

Movie review of Attack the block


Attack the block - 6/10
Directed by Joe Cornish
Cast - John Boyega, Jodie Whitaker, Alex Esmail, Nick Frost

Plot Summary
A teen gang in South London defend their block from an alien invasion.

Review
I took a gamble watching this movie solely because Nick Frost( Hot fuzz and Shaun of the dead fame) was in it. I didn't realize however he was only in a supporting role. Nevertheless,I was pleasantly surprised by the movie.Even though Attack the block is purely British and has a relatively low budget.I felt it was done pretty well.Kudos to the director,Joe Cornish for this.Cast for this movie is pretty much unknown except for Nick Frost.But interestingly there was a bit of chemistry.Acting was a little mediocre but acceptable due to the cast being young and all.
The plot is pretty simple and has a traditional alien comes to Earth plot. The design for the aliens is not bad I guess but the furry look doesn't really hack it for me.The script was decent and has some pretty cool lines but the slang is so thick, I'm pretty sure lots of people will find it hard to comprehend. Even I, had to get used to the way they talk. Fifteen mins through the movie,I got used to the slang and started to understand the lingo. I don't think alot of people might enjoy this movie because of this.

Recommended only for those who enjoy British movies if not give Attack the block a miss.

Best Quotes
Probs: No one is going to call you Mayhem if you keep acting like such a pussy

Jerome: This is too much madness to fit into one text!

No comments: