Tuesday 5 January 2010

Movie Review of Sherlock Holmes


Sherlock Holmes - 5/10
Directed by Guy Ritchie
Cast - Robert Downey Jr,Jude Law,Rache McAdams,Mark Strong

Plot Summary
Detective Sherlock Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson engage in a battle of wits and brawn with a nemesis whose plot is a threat to all of England.

Review
Ever since Guy Ritchie married Madonna,his movies had turned to shit.There was Swept Away,a movie with Madonna which was fuckall.Then there was Revolver which I nearly wanted to stab someone...and after that it was RockNRolla which I realized that someone was none other than Guy fucking Ritchie that I wanted to stab.Although, I will give credit where credit is due.Snatch and Lock Stock were really fun and good movies which anyone can watch.
Now when I saw the trailers for Sherlock Holmes,I did have mixed feelings for it.I do like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes very much..much so that I have read all of Sherlock's stories when I was young.So to give it a modern twist...a Guy Ritchie twist to Sherlock,I was rather apprehensive after all of Guy Ritchie's previous fuck ups.( He painted Ray Liotta, gold in Revolver for fucks sake! )
I do like Robert Downey Jr and since he is having a comeback at the moment.I did want to see how he would pull off a English accent and see what kind of chemistry he would have with Jude Law.
Now even after watching the movie,I still do have mixed feelings about it. Well at least this one is a tad much better than the last 2 movies Guy Ritchie did.I'll give him that.The movie was enjoyable,it has all the significant trademarks of a Guy Ritchie movies especially the fight scenes.RDJ and Jude Law were pretty ok even though I feel the script could have been better.However,I do not know why but I find RDJ's English accent alittle weird(not in a good way of course).Rachel McAdams was absolutely clueless and fuckall even the bulldog acted better than her!
Cinematography and cameraworks were pretty much ordinary but I did like 1 shot where the camera did a 180 turn(streets scene)
To be honest,I did enjoy the revamped Sherlock Holmes and I would definitely watch the sequel.The one thing I hope they would change for the sequel however is revealing the villain right at the beginning...I would have preferred a classic "whodunit" instead.

It's fucking elementary...go watch it in the cinema.

Best Quotes
Sherlock Holmes: You've never complained about my methods before.
Dr. John Watson: I've never complained! When have I ever complained about you practicing the violin at three in the morning, or your mess? Your general lack of hygiene or the fact that you steal my clothes?

Dr. John Watson: [to Holmes as he guzzles a liquid] You do know what your are drinking is meant for eye surgery?

Recommended movies done by the director
Lock Stock and two smoking barrels
Snatch

No comments: