Tuesday 5 January 2010

Movie Review of Avatar


Avatar - 8.5/10
Directed by James Cameron
Cast - Sam Worthington,Sigourney Weaver,Giovani Ribisi,Zoey Saldana,Stephan Lang
Plot Summary
A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

Review
I got to give it to James Cameron.He is definitely the best action/adventure director there is today.And when it comes to raising the bar,only James Cameron can do it.From movies like Terminator to Aliens,I've always enjoyed his movies except for Titanic( I blame Celine Dion for that.)
Avatar was like ten years in the making.Cameron already had the story and wanted to do it earlier but back then the special effects werent enough for him to tell his story.Until when he watched Lord of the rings especially the character Gollum (played by the wonderful Andy Serkis) did Cameron decided that the special effects now can be done.
By now everyone knows how expensive(400mil) it was to make Avatar and the special effects are too fucking amazing.It is totally out of this world.I have never seen shit like that before.And when I watched it in 3D for the first time.I totally went WHAT THE FUCK??? (In a good way of course).My mouth was wide open every 30seconds,I could barely eat my popcorn cause I was too engrossed and I did not feel the length of the movie at all (2hrs40mins).
Storyline is your typical standard Hollywood story with a feel good end and a positive message about saving the fucking world and crap like that.Editing was pretty good and so was the cinematography even though it was pretty much all green screen.I did like the acting.Zoe Saldana did a good job as the main female lead.Sigourney Weaver according to an interview said she was pretty much portraying James Cameron which in my opinion was pretty good.My favourite actor who pretty much stole the scene everytime he was in it was Stephen Lang as Colonel Miles Quaritch.He pretty much acts like yr typical bad ass military general minus the cigar smoking who hates hippies and doesnt give a fuck about anything except the army.And he has almost all the cool lines.Sam Worthington on the other hand was a bit of a letdown.He did not impress me in Terminator Salvation and he did not impress me in Avatar either.I pretty much feel he will not impress me in the upcoming remake of the classic stopmotion movie Clash of the Titans.
all in all..it is a good show which has morales and shit like that but fuck that...bottom line is it has great entertainment value.

I really recommend you to watch this movie in 3D. worth the money!

Best Quotes
Col. Quaritch: You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentleman.

Recommended movies done by the director
Terminator 1 and 2
True Lies
Aliens
The Abyss

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminded me a lot of Fern Gully: The Last Rainforest

Unknown said...

watching it 3D is even better ;-)