Thursday 21 January 2010

Movie Review of Invictus


Invictus - 7/10
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Cast - Morgan Freeman,Matt Damon

Plot Summary
Nelson Mandela, in his first term as the South African President, initiates a unique venture to unite the apartheid-torn land: enlist the national rugby team on a mission to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

Review
Despite just one major flaw,Invictus is a really feel good movie.Morgan Freeman who acts as Nelson Mandela,was like as though he was born just for this role.And from what I have read even Nelson Mandela himself personally chose Freeman to act as himself.From the way he talks,moves and even dances,Freeman does it with such ease.I definitely see Morgan Freeman being nominated for the awards for this movie and in fact he should win it.
Matt Damon was pretty good,but when I saw the first scene he was in which was a rugby match during the huddle was which he spoke his first line in a South African accent,"We got to FUCKUS! FUCKUS! (he was trying to say focus). I thought...die lah this fella gonna fuck up the movie for sure.But as the movie went on,Damon was pretty good in his role (even though the real Francois Pienaar is much bigger than him).
Clint Eastwood did a good job directing this movie,despite the trademark slow pace which wasn't really suitable for the rugby scenes.That was the only flaw to this movie...all the rugby scenes.A lot of shots missed the intensity of the game.and some shots didnt really point out the vital parts of the game.Editing was substandard mainly because of the rugby scenes.
Cinematography on the other hand was so so only
After the disastrous fuckall movie,Gran Torino which has FICTIONAL Hmong (who) gangsters in America,I would say Invictus is a welcome return for Clint Eastwood.

Worth watching on a weekend.

Best Quotes
Nelson Mandela: [watching a rugby match] All the whites cheer for South Africa. All the blacks cheer for England.

Jason Tshabalala: According to the experts, we'll reach the quarter-finals, and no further.
Nelson Mandela: According to the experts, you and I should still be dead.

Nelson Mandela: I thank whatever gods may be / For my unconquerable soul. / I am the master of my fate / I am the captain of my soul.

Recommended movies done by the director
Changeling
Mystic Rivers
Space Cowboys
Million Dollar Baby

No comments: