Monday 4 February 2008

Movie review of There will be blood

There will be blood - 7.5/10
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Cast - Daniel Day Lewis,Paul Dano

Plot Summary
The movie is about a family which comprises of a father, Daniel Plainview (Day Lewis) who is a turn of the century prospector and his son. They deal in the oil business. They go to a town where Daniel meets a Christian evangelist,Eli Sunday (Paul Dano) who is also out for money.

Review
I did find the first half an hour of the movie abit dull. Daniel Day Lewis acting was normal and was thinking to myself',"I don't think he is going to win with a performance like that". Then after the first half an hour onwards,you can see the character development and Lewis gets more and more aggressive with his acting. The last 45 mins alone is enough for him to win the oscar for best actor for the 2nd time (1st is for My Left Foot) which he thoroughly deserves.
Paul dano (Little Miss Sunshine),to my surprise does a rather commendable effort and manages to stand up to lewis's character. I just couldn't stand his screams which was rather girly. The script for this movie is fucking brilliant. The lines from daniel day lewis's character is very menancing and hurtful
(the fucker just doesn't give a fuck about anyone). <-- *Sounds like someone I know ;)
Direction is once again good as its PT Anderson but it'll never be as brilliant as Magnolia. I loved the cinematography and the editing was good as well. The score for this movie is daunting and rather eerie actually. You have to watch this movie just for the acting. Especially all the scenes with Daniel Day Lewis and Paul Dano's characters pitting against each other.
Worth watching on a weekend.DVD collecters should have this in their collection as well.

Best Quote(it is pretty long but its damn good)
Eli Sunday: Daniel, I'm asking if you'd like to have business with the Church of the Third Revelation in developing this lease on young Bandy's thousand acre tract. I'm offering you to drill on one of the great undeveloped fields of Little Boston!

Plainview: I'd be happy to work with you.

Eli Sunday: You would? Yes, yes, of course. Wonderful.

Plainview: But there is one condition for this work.

Eli Sunday: Alright.

Plainview: I'd like you to tell me that you are a false prophet... I'd like you to tell me that you are, and have been, a false prophet... and that God is a superstition.

Eli Sunday: ...but that's a lie... it's a lie, I cannot say it. [long pause]

Eli Sunday: When can we begin to drill?

Plainview: Right away.

Eli Sunday: How long will it take to bring in the well?

Plainview: Should be very quick.

Eli Sunday: I would like a one hundred thousand dollar signing bonus plus the five that is owed with interest.

Plainview: That's only fair.

Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet and God is a superstition. If that's what you believe, then I will say it. Plainview: Say it like you mean it.

Eli Sunday: Daniel...

Plainview: Say it like it's your sermon.

Eli Sunday: This is foolish. [long pause]

Eli Sunday: I am a false prophet! God is a superstition! I am a false prophet! God is a superstition! I am a false prophet! God is a superstition! [pause]

Eli Sunday: Is that fine?

Plainview: Those areas have been drilled.

Eli Sunday: What?

Plainview: Those areas have been drilled.

Eli Sunday: ...no they haven't...

Plainview: It's called drainage. I own everything around it... so I get everything underneath it.

Eli Sunday: But there are no derricks there. This is the Bandy tract. Do you understand?

Plainview: Do you? I drink your water, Eli. I drink it up. Everyday. I drink the blood of lamb from Bandy's tract.

Recommended movies by the director
Magnolia
Punch Drunk Love
Boogie Nights

No comments: