Monday 11 February 2008

Movie review of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - 7.5/10
Directed by Julian Schnabel
Cast - Mathieu Amalric(Munich), Emmanuelle Seigner,Marie-Josée Croze(Munich),Max Von Sydow(The Exorcist)

Plot Summary
The true story of french Elle editor Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers a stroke and has to live with an almost totally paralyzed body. Using only his left eye and his imagination, he writes a book.

Review
A fucking brilliant movie! kudos to the writer Ronald Harwood, The director and The cast. Superb cinematography and camera work. There are so many scenes which makes you see through the eye (no pun intended) of Jean-Dominique Bauby. There are so many different scenes which will invoke your emotions. Happiness, Sadness and Anger. My favourite scene is the phone call between Jean-Dominique Bauby and his father(Max Von Sydow). Sydow's acting was so touching, it really did bring a tear in my eye. Another good thing is the movie is in French and not English. It stays true to its main character. A definite must watch! really worth watching on a weekend and buying the dvd as well.

Best Quote
Jean-Dominique Bauby: I decided to stop pitying myself. Other than my eye, two things aren't paralyzed, my imagination and my memory.

Recommended movies by the director
Before night falls(Depp and Bardem))

No comments: