Monday 4 February 2008

Movie review of Sweeney Todd:the demon barber of fleet street

Sweeney Todd - 7/10
Directed by Tim Burton
Cast - Johnny Depp,Helena Bonham Carter,Alan Rickman

Plot Summary
Based on the hit Broadway musical which tells the infamous story of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a Sweeney Todd(Depp), who sets up a barber shop down in London which is the basis for a sinister partnership with his fellow tenant, Mrs. Lovett(Carter). A la musical version of the Count of Monte Cristo only that this time The Count is a barber.

Review
Even though I have never been a fan of musicals,this one wasn't that bad.Why? Cause it has Johnny Depp and one of my fav bad guys, Alan Rickman in it. There were parts when I was really sleepy cos of the fucking singing but all in all I liked the story and the acting was decent. One thing I really liked also is the coloring of the movie, it was edited very nicely as well. Kudos to burton for the direction. The much talked about violence in the movie isn't really that bad. The kill scenes are pretty ok also. The ending was nicely done. Worth watching on a weekend if you like singing in your movies.

Best Quote
Judge Turpin(Alan rickman): Oh yes... such practices. The Geishas of Japan, the concubines of Siam, the catamites of Greece, the harlots of India. I have them all here, drawings of them. Everything you've ever dreamed of doing with a woman. Would you like to see?
Anthony Hope: I think there's been some mistake.
Judge Turpin: I think not. You gandered at my ward, Johanna. You gandered at her. YES, sir, you gandered!
Anthony Hope: I meant no harm.
Judge Turpin: Your meaning is immaterial. Mark me! If I see your face again on this street, you'll rue the day you were born.

Recommended movies by the director
Sleepy hollow
Edward Scissorhands
Ed Wood
Big Fish(This is not with depp)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

any movie with johnny depp or any movie that tim burton made is good...

this two are always together