Thursday 19 May 2011

Movie Review of Thor


Thor - 7/10
Directed by Kenneth Branagh
Cast - Chris Hemsworth,Natalie Portman,Tom Hiddleston,Anthony Hopkins,Idris Elba

Plot Summary
The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth,where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

Review
I watched this movie when it was released but hadn't the time to do a review for it so here it is now.Now I'm not a big fan of Thor comics so I wouldn't know much of him,just the basics like he is from Asgarth and he is Odin's son.The movie did give me a little bit more insight of the character but its best to read the comics.
Its very unusual of Kenneth Branagh to do a movie like this.I got to say he did a pretty decent job.Casing wise however I think is much to be desired.Chris Hemsworth as Thor was good.I do not know much about Chris and the only other movie I can remember him was in Star Trek.He was James T.Kirk's father.Apparently he over bulked up for Thor and had to downsize abit so as to be able to wear the costumes.His acting is pretty decent and I would like to see him in other movies.Anthony Hopkins looks very bored and very old in this.Perhaps,another actor who is slightly younger should have done the role of Odin instead.Natalie Portman was annoying.Half the fuck time she is whining or screaming.And I don't know why but ever since Black Swan,its like she has done about 3000 movies cause I see her in almost every movie in the cinema now.The best actor for this movie is definitely Tom Hiddleston as Loki.It was such a pleasure every time he comes on screen.I havent seen any of his movies,but judging from his performance for Thor,expect big roles for this guy.I do not know why Hollywood has to be so fucking politically correct and all that bullshit..I mean for fuck sake..getting Idris Elba as Heimdall the guardian of Asgard? Have you ever seen a black Viking or a black god in Valhalla? COME ON!!! even in the movie,he has the worst job..fucker is supposed to be a guardian but so many people have sneaked in and out of Asgard.
The designs and visuals for Asgard is really beautiful and well done.Even though I despise watching movies in 3D,I could imagine these scenes in 3D to be pretty cool.Direction as mentioned earlier was a pretty decent job.The script was good.the few light hearted scenes were funny.Even the standard Stan Lee cameo was funny.Editing was done nicely and the camera works and cinematography was good.
All in all if you are a fan of comics and The Avengers,you should watch this movie.
Also do not forget to watch the scene after the credits.

Best quotes
Thor: This mortal form grows weak. I require sustenance!

Clint Barton: You better call it Coulson, cause I'm starting to root for this guy.

Agent Cale: [staring at a moving suit of armour] Is that one of Stark's?
Agent Phil Coulson: I don't know. That guy never tells me anything...

Recommended movies done by the director
Much Ado about nothing

No comments: