Thursday 19 May 2011

Movie review of 13 Assassins


13 Assassins - 8.5/10
Directed by Takashi Miike
Cast - Kôji Yakusho, Takayuki Yamada, Gorô Inagaki

Plot Summary
A group of assassins come together for a suicide mission to kill an evil lord.

Review
There are three Japanese directors whose movies I will religiously follow.The late Akira Kurosawa,the legendary Takeshi Kitano and of course Takashi Miike.13 assassins is the latest by Takashi Miike and I have waited for a long time to watch this movie.When I first saw the trailer,I knew this director will not let me down.And at the end of the movie,I was not disappointed with it,not one single bit.Miike's direction is fantastic.I loved the colouring of the film.It gave a surreal feel to the movie.Blood and violence is always quite abundant with Miike's movie and 13 assassins was one of them.but the violence was done rather beautifully I have to add.Fight choreography was pretty realistic and not too over the top.Acting was top notch.I simply loved the casting.From the leader to the assassins to the villain.Every actor played their parts to perfection.
There was one particular scene involving a tortured girl.I have to admit I was alittle disturbed by it but I got to say that scene was a Takashi Miike trademark.It was a little sadistic but in a very artistic way.You have to watch that scene to understand.But then again only fans of Takashi Miike would probably get it.The plot and build up to the crucial part of the story was indeed well made.I really liked the introductions of all 13 warriors,even though it was brief but it was enough to understand what each character is about.I also have to say how Miike ended the movie is Japanese cinema at its best.A real classy yet brutal ending.This is definitely one of the best movies I have watched this year.
Sadly this movie may never be shown in our cinemas because its not the mainstream teeny boppy melodrama bullshit Japanese or Korean movies they rather show.
If you enjoy movies during the samurai era or revenge movies,I would highly recommend 13 Assassins.Get it by any means necessary cause its a fucking fantastic movie.

Recommended movies by the director
Iichi the killer
Audition
Sukiyaki Western Django
Dead or Alive trilogy

No comments: