Monday 21 February 2011

Movie review of The King's Speech


The King's Speech - 7.5/10
Directed by Tom Hooper
Cast - Colin Firth,Helena Bonham Carter,Geoffrey Rush

Plot Summary
Tells the story of the man who became King George VI, the father of Queen Elizabeth II. After his brother abdicates, George ('Bertie') reluctantly assumes the throne. Plagued by a dreaded stammer and considered unfit to be king, Bertie engages the help of an unorthodox speech therapist named Lionel Logue. Through a set of unexpected techniques, and as a result of an unlikely friendship, Bertie is able to find his voice and boldly lead the country through war.

Review
I am a big fan of the movie,Damned United which was Tom Hooper's previous directorial effort.So when I found out he was directing the King's speech with a magnificent cast of British actors,I was looking forward to it.I have to say this was a fantastic movie.The cast selection was perfect.Colin Firth was perfect for the role of King George VI.The ticks,the stammering,the temper,I'm pretty sure only Firth could have pulled off a character like King George VI.He should be recognized for his portrayal.Geoffrey Rush as usual did a fine job as Lionel Logue, the speech therapist and friend to King George VI.The chemistry between these two actors was a delight to watch.There were some light hearted scenes like the one where Lionel sits on the chair,The first time Lionel calls King George,Bertie and the one where King George swears.I have always enjoyed watching Helena Bonham Carter and she did manage to stand out on her own despite the two acting powerhouses (Firth and Rush).Even the supporting cast were good.Two of my favorites were Guy Pierce.His British accent and the whole royalty acting was fantastic.I wished he had more screen time though.And Timothy Spall as Winston Churchill.He got the voice and the attitude down perfectly.
Direction for The King's speech was good.The cinematography was fantastic.The costumes and location shots were good.The script was brilliant.A truly heart warming,feel good movie with fine acting to watch.

I really recommend this movie to one and all.Worth watching on a weekend.


Quotes
King George VI: L-listen to me... listen to me!
Lionel Logue: Why should I waste my time listening to you?
King George VI: Because I have a voice!
Lionel Logue: ...yes, you do.

Lionel Logue: Do you know any jokes?
King George VI: ...Timing isn't my strong suit.

[watching a clip of Hitler speaking]
Lilibet: What's he saying?
King George VI: I don't know but... he seems to be saying it rather well.
Lionel Logue: [as George "Berty" is lighting up a cigarette] Please don't do that.
King George VI: I'm sorry?
Lionel Logue: I believe sucking smoke into your lungs will kill you.
King George VI: My physicians say it relaxes the throat.
Lionel Logue: They're idiots.
King George VI: They've all been knighted.
Lionel Logue: Makes it official then.


Recommended movies done by the director
The Damned United

No comments: