Sunday 6 February 2011

Movie review of Black Swan


Black Swan - 8.5/10
Directed by Darren Aronofsky
Cast - Natalie Portman,Mila Kunis,Vincent Cassel,Winona Ryder

Plot Summary
A ballet dancer wins the lead in "Swan Lake" and is perfect for the role of the delicate White Swan - Princess Odette - but slowly loses her mind as she becomes more and more like Odette's evil sister, Odile, the Black Swan.

Review
Initially I was a little apprehensive about watching this movie.Well because I do not like Natalie Portman.To me,her only good movie was Leon the Professional.I did not like Closer and V for vendetta could have done better without her.And as for Star Wars,I wanted her raped by the Sand People as much as I wanted Jar Jar Binks to be ripped apart by the Jawas.That's how much I dislike Natalie Portman.But Black Swan is directed by Darren Aronofsky and I have to watch his movies.He did a fantastic job pushing Mickey Rourke to his acting limit in The Wrestler and I wanted to know if he could do the same for Portman.To my surprise,he did.This is definitely Portman's finest moment as an actress.She did such a fantastic job,I'm pretty sure she would be nominated for Best Actress and perhaps win it.Not only did Portman did a fantastic job,the rest of the cast were really good as well.Vincent Cassel who is a brilliant French actor and the lucky bastard is married to Monica Bellucci and Mila Kunis from the series That 70's show.The three main cast have fantastic chemistry between them.There was also a barely recognizable Winona Ryder.The scene with Ryder in a wheelchair was one of the best scenes of the movie.
Just like The Wrestler,Black Swan was done with a very tight budget.Aronofsky should continue doing this cause it seems to be working for him so far.Cinematography and camera works were fantastic.I loved the track shots and the mirror shots especially.Editing was fucking brilliant.You have to pay attention cause there are quite a few scenes where you might miss in a blink of an eye.And all these scenes are fucking creepy.There are also some scenes that made me shudder and go "What The Fuck" as well.
Even though you may figure out the twist before the end,it was the way the movie ended which is another reason why I found Black Swan a really good movie.

Definitely worth watching on a weekend.

Quotes
Nina Sayers: I was perfect...

Thomas Leroy: That was me seducing you. It needs to be the other way around.

Recommended movies done by the director
Requiem for a dream
Pi
The Wrestler

2 comments:

Irma said...

That was a deep insight to the movie. And here I was going to watch the movie cos Swan Lake was my favourite ballet :P

CynnedCynner said...

i love the way u review! :)