Monday 4 March 2013

Movie review of Flight


Flight - 5/10
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Cast - Denzel Washington, John Goodman, Don Cheadle,Nadine Velazquez

Plot Summary
An airline pilot saves a flight from crashing, but an investigation into the malfunctions reveals something troubling.

Review
I've always enjoyed Denzel Washington's movies.The dude can act. And to find out that Flight is directed by Robert Zemeckis, it got me pretty excited for this movie. Furthermore this is Zemeckis's first live action movie since Cast Away. Sadly, my excitement was pretty much dulled out. I wouldn't say that Flight was a shit movie but it wasn't great either. There was simply nothing fantastic in Flight.Of course Denzel Washington acted like how he normally would but that was it. Cause I'm starting to feel that Denzel is starting to turn into Al Pacino. Why Al Pacino? let me explain. Now if you have been watching good old Al, despite being a good actor, his main talent is pretty much shouting. You can say, he shouted his way to an Oscar. And Denzel Washington? Well,his main talent is stammering and twitching of his lips either in a manner when he is about to cry or get angry. And he did that to get his Oscar. And if you realize, he has been doing that stammer and twitch move for awhile now.
Direction was decent as well.But that is expected from a director such as Zemeckis. Plot wise I kinda like the message they were trying to put out. but I think leaving the whole flying the plane upside down would be better. I'm no pilot but that was just a ridiculous Hollywood stunt to attract people to the cinema. That scene shouldn't be the highlight of the movie.The message should be the highlight.
I liked the colour and tone of the movie, it had kinda of a retro 80's feel to it. Too bad the movie wasn't based on that timeline though. Soundtrack was cool. As much as I love any Rolling Stones songs in a movie, but if you kept repeating the songs whenever a character appears, it could be a little overkill but hey its the fucking Stones so its all good.
It was also nice to see John Goodman and Denzel Washington together (last was Fallen). Goodman has all the best lines in the movie. He just lightens up the crowd whenever he was on screen.Good job, Goodman. It was also nice to see Don Cheadle as well even though I felt his character was alittle too subdued against Washington's character. It would have been nice if they really had gone head to head.

All in all, Flight is a decent movie to watch. Go watch it on weekday if you have to.

Best Quotes
Harling Mays: Don't touch the fucking merch.

Harling Mays: Oh! Oh, almost forgot- I got you some stroke mags. Been in the hospital, know what you need. Got Jugs, Hot Milfs and Eat Ass Masters. You just stroke it all day- you're a hero. If I was you, I'd just lay here, pulling on that thing all day long.

Avington Carr: Makes me wanna sniff some lines and go fly a jet!

Harling Mays: See y'all on the dark side of the Moon.

Recommended movies done by the director
Forest Gump
Cast Away
Back to the Future

No comments: