Wednesday 8 July 2009

Movie Review of Duplicity


Duplicity - 2/10
Directed by Tony Gilroy
Cast - Clive Owen,Julia Roberts,Paul Giamatti,Tom Wilkinson

Plot Summary
A pair of corporate spies who share a steamy past hook up to pull off the ultimate con job on their respective bosses.

Review
Tony Gilroy 2nd attempt at directing.His first was Michael Clayton which was a pretty decent effort.When I first read the plot summary,I wanted to watch this movie cause I love watching movies based on cons and heist and there was a romantic element involved in it.Even though Julia Roberts and Clive Owen are not my favourite actors,I just wanted to check it out.I thoroughly enjoyed movies like The Thomas Crown Affair and Ocean's Eleven.But unfortunately Duplicity failed to make it enjoyable.The plot to me was somehow alittle too confusing and the end wasn't really satisfying enough.For con or heist movies it's usually at the end where everything is revealed like how it was done and all that,Duplicity's ending on the other end was alittle too quick and not really convincing enough.
Direction was pretty standard and so was the cinematography.Editing was ok except for that irritating rectangular transitions they keep using.Acting as usual was below par.Julia Roberts seems like she was bored all the time.Clive Owen for one can never be a British spy and is quite horrible at giving out one liners as well.Paul Giamatti was brilliant as he usually is but I cant say much for Tom Wilkinson except that he was severely under utilized for this movie.

Better to wait this out than watching it in the cinemas.Not worth the ticket money at all.

Best Quote
Claire Stenwick: I found these in your closet.

Ray Koval: I swear to you I have no idea who they belong to.

Claire Stenwick: Well in that case I'll put them back on.

Ray Koval: You're gaming me?

Recommended movies done by the director
Michael Clayton

No comments: