Monday 2 February 2009

Movie Review of Doubt


Doubt - 6.5/10

Directed by John Patrick Shanley
Cast - Phillip Seymour Hoffman,Meryl Streep,Amy Adams,Viola Davis

Plot Summary
Set in 1964, Doubt centers on a nun who confronts a priest after suspecting him abusing a black student. He denies the charges, and much of the play's quick-fire dialogue tackles themes of religion, morality and authority.

Review
When I first watched Doubt's Trailer,I was very excited.I couldn't wait to watch 2 acting powerhouses going at each other.With Phillip Seymour Hoffman in one corner and Meryl Streep in the other.After watching the movie,to be honest I was alittle disappointed.Well it was the ending that kinda turned me off.I just felt shortchanged when Meryl Streep's character did a short outburst in the end.Instead of that,Streep's character should have remained in character as before.Besides that,I think Meryl Streep will win the Best Actress award(Oscars) for her role as a strict,no nonsense,terrifying Principal of a Catholic School,Sister Aloysius Beauvier.Streep was so convincing that you will definitely get reminiscances of yourself getting beatings from the discipline master when you were in school.(I did)
Phillip Seymour Hoffman was just fantastic as Father Brendan Flynn.He acted so well,he will get you convinced and make you feel for his character.Though I do not think he will win Best Actor for this year,I will certainly watch any movies,he acts in.
Amy Adams does a good job as Sister James who is innocently caught in a war between Father Flynn and Sister Beauvier.
Viola Davis who acts as Mrs Miller was exceptionally good..for 5 mins.Cause that's all her role was in the movie for.But for that 5 mins,she did a damn good job.
There is nothing fancy so its pretty much simple cinematography and editing.I didn't like the camera works,there are some shots which were rather shaky and there were some shots poorly done as it couldn't capture the emotions from the actors.The plot and script were fucking fantastic,especially the scenes of Hoffman and Streep.
As this movie is based on a play,you will get the feel that you are watching a play instead of a movie.An interesting thing about Doubt is the director,John Patrick Shanley only told Phillip Seymour Hoffman whether he was guilty or not.None of the other actors knew.
Worth watching on a weekend.

Best Quote
Father Brendan Flynn: You have no right to act on your own! You have taken vows, obedience being one! You answer to us! You have no right to step outside the church!
Sister Aloysius Beauvier: I will step outside the church if that's what needs to be done, till the door should shut behind me! I will do what needs to be done, though I'm damned to Hell! You should understand that, or you will mistake me.
Father Brendan Flynn: I can fight you.
Sister Aloysius Beauvier: You will lose.

Recommended movies by the director
Joe vs the volcano

No comments: