Saturday 18 January 2020

Movie review of 1917

1917 - 8.5/10
Directed by Sam Mendes

When the Golden Globes results came on, and 1917 won for Best Picture and Director, A lot of people were upset that Todd Phillips, the director of Joker did not win Best Director and nor did Joker win for Best Picture. Even though I did not watch 1917 at that point( haven't release) and I loved Joker a lot, I knew Sam Mendes had done something special with 1917. True enough, I was blown away.

I have always been a sucker for one takes. I remember watching that infamous scene at the restaurant in Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese) and I was awed by it. I always appreciated the work put in by everyone for a one take and it truly is a team effort. The movie, Atonement had one such mesmerizing take as well. Birdman directed by Alejandro Innaritu took one take sequences to a whole new level,by making the whole movie look like a one take with clever editing. This time round Sam Mendes raised the bar by doing a movie about World War 1, in one take with sublime editing.

The amount of work put in this movie is phenomenal. Everyone must have practiced the one takes numerous times before actual filming. It really isn't as easy as how it looks. I have to give credit to Same Mendes for his direction. The plot maybe simple but the way it was filmed is why 1917 deserves to win as many awards. I will not be surprised at all, if it won Best Picture, Best Director and definitely Best Editing.

Editing one takes and making it seamless like as though it was one continuous take is not easy. Lee Smith, the editor for Nolan's movies like Dunkirk, Inception an Dark Knight was the prefect man for it. It is really hard to tell the cuts at times. Mad respect for that.

If cinematography is at its finest, then you know it is done by none other than Roger Deakins. Some of the shots are so beautiful, that I forget that it is a one take. Simply Solid.

Casting was good as well, it really took me a while to recognize Dean Charles Chapman though, aka Tommen Baratheon of Game Of Thrones and a barely recognizable Colin Firth. I knew it was him cause of his distinctive voice.

All in all, 1917 is a really good movie. Even more so if you know a thing or two about filming and editing. Worth the watch even on a weekend.

1 comment: