Monday 12 January 2015

Movie review of American Sniper

American Sniper - 5/10
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Written by Jason Hall, Chris Kyle
Cast - Bradley Cooper, Sienna Miller, Kyle Gallner

Plot Summary
Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle's pinpoint accuracy saves countless lives on the battlefield and turns him into a legend. Back home to his wife and kids after four tours of duty, however, Chris finds that it is the war he can't leave behind.

Review
Yet another "America is the greatest country in the whole wide world" propaganda bullshit movie. its basically the same old shit, which everyone else in the world are bored of. Every time I see a move like this, it always reminds me of Southpark's team America movie. Don't get me wrong,I love war movies, I just don't like propaganda shoved down my throat and this is sadly one of them.
Movies directed by Clint Eastwood are always slow paced. However American Sniper, I have to say Eastwood did quicken the pace,just alittle bit more. I do not know most of the actors so I cant really say much about the casting except for Bradley Cooper who did a pretty good job. He got that Texan accent down(even though he sounds like he was mumbling at times) and he even bulked up for this role. Apparently he spent 8 months preparing for it. So kudos to him for that. I guess he will probably get nominated for best actor but I doubt he will win it.
I could not recognize Sienna Miller and was taken by surprise when I saw her name at the credits. her acting was decent and she hid her British accent well.
Camera works and editing was decent, I didn't like the sandstorm scene.I understand the need to let the viewer feel that visibility is poor during that period but perhaps it could have been done better.
I don't think there are many sniper movies out there. American sniper could probably be among the top five sniper movies if not for the "America Fuck Yeah" bullshit. For me, my favourite sniper movie is enemy at the gate.


Worth watching on a weekday especially for sniper fans. I'm not a fan of snipers but that's because I play Battlefield and snipers can be arseholes. hahaha.


Quotes
Marc Lee: You got some kind of saviour complex?
Chris Kyle: No. I just want to get the bad guys, but if I can't see them I can't shoot them.

Navy Doctor: Would you be surprised if I told you that Navy has credited you with... over 160 kills?
Chris Kyle: [Hums]
Navy Doctor: Do you ever think that... you might have seen things or... done some things over there that you wish you hadn't?
Chris Kyle: Oh, that's not me. No.
Navy Doctor: What's not you?
Chris Kyle: I was just protecting my guys, they were trying to kill... our soldiers and I... I'm willing to meet my Creator and answer for every shot that I took.
Chris Kyle: The thing that... haunts me are all the guys that I couldn't save.
Chris Kyle: Now I'm willing and able to... be there but I'm not, I'm here I quit.

Recommended movies done by the director
A perfect world
Space cowboys
Mystic river
Invictus

No comments: