Sunday 16 February 2014

Movie review of Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor - 6/10
Directed by Peter Berg
Written by Peter Berg, Marcus Luttrell
Cast - Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Eric Bana

Plot Summary
Marcus Luttrell and his team set out on a mission to capture or kill notorious Taliban leader Ahmad Shah, in late June 2005. Marcus and his team are left to fight for their lives in one of the most valiant efforts of modern warfare.

Review
Peter Berg has done a few good movies which I have enjoyed watching.And some horrible ones also which I have watched as well.Last one he did was Battleship,I prefer to call it Battleshit cause that was horrendous.Lone Survivor on the other hand was not so bad even though there was an excessive amount of American patriotism.
Casting for this movie was ok, I guess as the main focus is more on the main character which is played by Mark Wahlberg. I am beginning to enjoy Mark Walberg's performances as of late.Fella has definitely improved so much in terms of acting and all.The good thing to which Peter Berg did was, he did not make the actors as the pivotal focus of the movie,instead he made the story as the main focus and of course the copious amount of patriotism.One Actor whom I always liked is Ben Foster.I'm just waiting for his big break perhaps a role as an ultimate villain or something cause he really looks like one.Kitsch and Hirsch were there basically as fodder.
Direction wise, What Peter Berg did was, he made a movie which can pretty much be used as a recruitment video for the Navy seals.From the starting credits, you will see clips of soldiers training and all that,if that is your kinda shit,then you will enjoy the movie. There was one particular scene which i was awed for the first ten seconds... soldiers falling off a cliff, the way they were falling was dramatic and unbelievable, and just when I was about to wonder how could they manage to be alive from that fall. They started falling off a second cliff again, and that was when it started to become funny. Because the whole time, you feel these soldiers are just falling off rocky cliffs only.And they really took a long fucking time reaching bottom. And then I start to notice that they have been shot at about 5000 times ( I'm exaggerating of course) and they are still alive.. barely but still can kill bad guys. It may be true though cause the movie portrays the navy seals as very tough and not easy to die. That's when the whole patriotism bullshit kicks in full speed. And every time I see a scene which has full blown American patriotism,I remember that South Park's Team America song... America....fuck yeah. Hahaha. I did however liked how the movie ended even though it was a typical Hollywood end.

All in all,Lone Survivor does have its moments but its a forgettable movie. If you really enjoy military movies,then you will find this enjoyable.If you are not,then give it a miss. Watch it on a weekday at best.

Best Quotes
Shane Patton: Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Marcus Luttrell: Hey, Mikey. I'm about ready to punch that time card.
Michael Murphy: Do it.

Shane Patton: I'm a lover, I'm a fighter, I'm a UDT Navy SEAL diver. I'll wine, dine, intertwine, and sneak out the back door when the refueling is done. So if you're feeling froggy, then you better jump, because this frogman's been there, done that and is going back for more.

Recommended movies done by the director
Very Bad Things
The Kingdom
Hancock
Friday night lights

No comments: