Thursday 12 April 2012

Movie review of A Separation


A Separation - 8/10
Directed by Asghar Farhadi
Cast - Peyman Moadi, Peyman Moadi, Sareh Bayat, Shahab Hosseini

Plot Summary
A married couple are faced with a difficult decision - to improve the life of their child by moving to another country or to stay in Iran and look after a deteriorating parent who has Alzheimer's disease.

Review
This is definitely one of the best foreign movies I have watched this year. Well acted and well done. The casting for this movie is fantastic.I have to say everyone acted very well in this movie.Even the supporting cast like the estranged daughter and the father who has Alzheimer's were fucking brilliant. A separation thoroughly deserves to win the oscar for best foreign movie. Director Asghar Farhandi did such a great job,I will definitely look out for his next movie. The editing and camera works were well done as well. I think most of the camera works are done by a hand held camera.
The array of emotions I went through watching this was just fantastic. Very rarely do masterpieces such as A separation, come along.You will certainly feel for each of the four main characters. I felt anger,sadness and frustration for each character at all separate times during the movie.
I also really liked the way the movie ends with the credits as well.
Unfortunately this movie is no longer in the cinemas,plainly because people like watching shit explode for no apparent reason. I admit sometimes I do too but like I said earlier when a gem like A separation comes along,it's really worth your time to watch it.

Highly recommended.

Best quotes

Simin: He
[Nader's Father]
Simin: doesn't even know who you are.
Nader: He does not know me but i know that he is my father.

Nader: I went there cause I have a sense of humanity.
Hodjat: where was your sense of humanity when you were hitting her ?

Recommended movies done by the director
About Elly

No comments: