Tuesday 10 January 2012

Movie review of Girl with the dragon tattoo


Girl with the dragon tattoo - 7.5/10
Directed by David Fincher
Cast - Daniel Craig,Rooney Mara,Julian Sands,Christopher Plummer

Plot Summary
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker.

Review
I am a big fan of the original Swedish GWTDT.SO when I knew David Fincher was doing a remake of this movie,I have to admit I was a little skeptical.Afraid he might fuck up.Glad I was wrong. Fincher did a fantastic remake of this after all.However,I do still prefer the original mainly because it's traditional,the pacing was slow and the chemistry between Blomkvist played by Michael Nyqvist (Mission Impossible 4) and Lisbeth played by Noomi Rapace (Sherlock Holmes) was brilliant.Rooney Mara was a great choice and she played Lisbeth very well but to me, Noomi Rapace IS Lisbeth Salander. Rooney Mara was just playing a replicate.I also felt Daniel Craig shouldn't have been casted as Mikael Blomkvist.He wasn't old enough and he was still a little too muscular.It was like James Bond in the movie.Even though Craig said he put on weight for this role.Mikael Blomkvist should have been someone older perhaps someone like Harrison Ford.I don't know why I said Ford,maybe its cause I remembered that cheebye movie cowboys and aliens.but yeah someone around that age would be perfect.Christopher Plummer was great as Henrik Vanger and Julian Sands of Warlock fame was the younger version.But to me, the actor who stole the show was none other than Stellan Skarsgard. He was a delight to watch.That scene in the room with Daniel Craig scared the shit out of me. His look when he was saying his lines felt like he really meant it.That was my favorite scene and it was indeed very disturbing. Another disturbing scene was the rape and revenge scene.Executed very well.
I really liked the cinematography and editing was good.Luckily there wasn't any fuckall cuts by the censorshit boars.The pacing is a little faster than the original which is OK and I loved the colour and gloomy look.It did indeed showed a sense of how the characters felt in the movie. Direction is excellent.The whole opening sequence was awesome and captured the key elements of the movie,but I felt it was alittle too extravagant.This is an investigative drama mind you not a Michael Bay-esque action movie.
I really hope Fincher does the other two sequels as well.I didn't really liked the original two so I'm pretty sure he will do a better job out of them.

Definitely worth watching on a weekend. Also try to catch the original so you will understand why I liked Noomi Rapace's Lisbeth Salander better.

Best quotes
Lisbeth Salander: He's had a long standing sexual relationship with his co-editor of the magazine. Sometimes he performs cunnilingus on her. Not often enough in my opinion.

Martin Vanger: Bring your drink, leave my knife.

Martin Vanger: The fear of offending is stronger than the fear of pain.

Recommended movies done by the director
Se7en
Fight Club
Zodiac

No comments: