Tuesday 23 September 2008

Movie Review of Mamma Mia!

Mamma Mia! - 6.5/10
Directed by Phyllida Lloyd
Cast - Meryl Streep,Pierce Brosnan,Colin Firth,Stellan Skarsgard,Amanda Seyfried

Plot Summary
The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA.

Review
You will only enjoy this movie if you like musicals or you are a fan of the band ABBA or both.I was never really big into musicals.The only other musical movies I enjoyed were Grease and Sweeny Todd but I fucking love ABBA! I grew up listening to them,so when I heard they are making another movie based on ABBA songs,I was game on watching it.something different yet interesting this time was the actors actually sang the songs.By the way,not only is Meryl Streep an excellent actress,after this movie,she is a heck of a singer too.She had a great voice and so did Amanda Seyfried.But Amanda on the other hand is a great singer but she cant act for shit.She has a really stupid look which she kept doing it all the fuck time.Its the "I really wanna take a shit but I wanna hold it in for as long as I can" look.
The director didn't do a very good job at all.The cameraworks were pretty awful as well,The colours were all wrong.Worse was the editing.But seriously...fuck all that.you have to watch it for the songs of course which will defintely keep yr feet tapping and you will also be whispering along as well.The cool thing is whenever a song breaks out,there will be subtitles.And every ABBA hit that comes out,it'll definitely bring back memories which is another cool thing about this movie.
Kudos to all the actors and actresses who fearlessly sang the songs, even Pierce Brosnan who cant sing for shit,tried his level best.But the star of the movie is no one but Meryl Streep.

Worth watching on a weekend.

Best Quote
Rosie: [to Tanya] Typical you wait 20 years for a father and then three show up at once.

Sophie: You took my mother's guitar!
Harry Bright: Borrowed. I got it for her. Cost me ten quid and my Johnny Rotten T-shirt. See? DS: Donna Sheridan. HB: Head Banger.

Recommended movies by the director
None

No comments: