Thursday 26 May 2022

Movie review of Topgun: Maverick

 Topgun: Maverick - 8.5/10 

What a ride! By far the best movie I've watched this year. Topgun Maverick is definitely worth the wait! Everyone should watch this movie in Imax. It is that bloody good.


I was one of the lucy few that got to watch Topgun: Maverick on Top Gun day. We were invited to Lido Imax to watch the first movie. When everyone was seated and I was waiting for the show to begin. I was thinking to myself, this would be a good recap and in preparation for the sequel when it opens in 2 weeks time. The the MCs mentioned that there was a surprise in store for the fans who are watching today. Next thing I knew, Tom Cruise appeared on screen, thanking everyone for coming down to watch Top Gun on Top Gun day. The next thing he said caught everyone off guard. "We will not be watching Top Gun unfortunately but we will be the first to watch TOPGUN: MAVERICK!!!" Everyone went apeshit! I am so fucking glad that I did not skip this event.

Now the story you can pretty much tell from the trailer. Goose's son is in the picture and his call sign is Rooster. ok... Miles Teller as Rooster was good casting, perhaps without the moustache would be great but I guess he has to follow his dad. Jennifer Connelly is Maverick's love interest and I have to say Connelly looks great! One worth mention is of course none other than Iceman aka Val Kilmer. It is sad to see what he has going though in life with throat cancer and all. The scene with Iceman and Maverick is touching, sad and funny. Definitely one of my fav scenes from the movie. Tom Cruise returning as Maverick is just absolutely brilliant. It was one of his career defining roles and it was really nostalgic to watch him back as Maverick. Plus he is still bat shit crazy when it comes to stunts.

I have watched some of the behind the scene footage for TGM and its just amazing how this was filmed. The actors training for some scenes looks tough as well. I loved the cinematography and how it was edited. The dogfights are fucking insane and will keep you to the edge of your seat. There will be moments, you will feel like as though you are in the pilot's seat.

Storyline is pretty close to the first movie, the flight training sequences were great. Loved the scene where Maverick was schooling the young ones. The soundtrack has a mix of classic songs and the song written by Lady Gaga was nice too. It ain't no Berlin's take my breath away, but its alright.

All in all, I strongly recommend watching Top Gun: Maverick in Imax. You will not get the same feel watching at home which was a good move when Cruise decided not to release this on streaming platforms. 
You will definitely walk out off the cinema with a huge grin in your face and bound to talk about the movie to your friends. I was blown away much like that rooftop.(Ed Harris scene) 

No comments: