Friday 4 February 2011

Movie review of The Green Hornet


The Green Hornet - 3.5/10
Directed by Michel Gondry
Cast - Seth Rogen,Jay Chou,Cameron Diaz,Christoph Waltz

Plot Summary
Following the death of his father, Britt Reid, heir to his father's large company, teams up with his late dad's assistant Kato to become a masked crime fighting team.

Review
You have a good writer and comedian in Seth Rogen, you have a fantastic visual director in Michel Gondry,you have a talented actor who can play a villain in Christoph Waltz and still somehow fuck this movie up so bad..Initially,it was Stephen Chow who was supposed to direct and act as Kato.I guess he probably knew this movie would be shit so he left and Gondry took over.Judging from the trailer itself,I knew this movie was gonna suck ass.But I had to watch this movie as Michel Gondry is one of my favourite directors.Not even halfway through the movie,you can notice that the writers are clearly confused as to whether they want Green Hornet to be funny or serious.Some scenes were supposed to be funny and some scenes were serious.A good 90% of the jokes in the movie fell flat.And I hate to say this as I always enjoyed Seth Rogen's brand of comedy but in Green Hornet, he was fucking annoying! Motherfucker had this really annoying voice and half the fuck time he is shouting.I really had the sudden urge the slap him.And then there was Jay fucking Chou.To say he was trying to outdo Keanu Reeve would be an understatement.And why the fuck can't they just get a Chinese actor who can SPEAK PROPER ENGLISH!!! This fucktard was barely comprehensible.I seriously needed subtitles whenever he opened his cheebye mouth.Christoph Waltz was wonderful in Inglorious Basterds and shit in Green Hornet.I really wished I did not see him in this movie.I sincerely hope he chooses his next movie wisely.Cameron Diaz was a waste of space here.There was no need for her in any part of the show and she looks like a melted plastic bag.Surprisingly Edward Furlong has a cameo.It took me awhile to recognize Terminator 2's John Connor.And boy does he look haggard but it was nice to see him on screen again.
As bad as the acting was,the script,plot and editing were horrible.The ending was just stupid especially the part about the thumb drive.There were some jump cuts before the actor finishes his line.And the script was just horrible and not funny.The action sequences(Kato's fights) was interesting the first time,then they kept repeating it. The only good thing about this movie was the multi screen shot scene which was brilliant.I have seen this done before.Michel Gondry once directed this music video but it was just a split screen then.
Luckily for me,I hate watching movies in 3D,so I did not bother wasting more money on this shit.Apparently,there wasn't much 3D sequences.Only a few scenes and the end credits.

Do not bother watching this on 3D or on a weekend.

Quotes
Kato: I was born in Shanghai. You know Shanghai?
Britt Reid: Yeah, I love Japan.

Mike Axford: You are blowing this guy completely out of proportion.
Britt Reid: I will blow this guy in any proportion I want!

Recommended movies done by the director
Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind
Science of sleep
Be kind rewind

No comments: